Choose the Right Type of Hot Melt Adhesive
Labeling on Hot Melt Adhesive is a large part of marketing for many companies. Labels can be used for product identification, name tags, advertising, warnings, and other forms of communication. Being aware of label types and production will help any product look its best.
Labels can be applied using a variety of methods. Label adhesives are usually made from water based acrylics. Some however, can be made using solvent based adhesives or hot melt adhesives. The most common adhesive types are:
• Permanent - This adhesive usually cannot be removed without tearing the stock or damaging the surface. Solvents are needed to completely remove the label. The adhesion strength and speed can also be varied. For example, full adhesion can be nearly instant, or the label can be removable for a short period with full adhesion developing in minutes or hours.
• Removable - The adhesion on these labels is fairly strong and will not come off under normal circumstances. The advantage of this type of adhesion is that the label can be removed relatively easily without tearing the base stock or leaving adhesive behind on the old surface. The adhesive is usually strong enough to be applied again elsewhere.
• Ultra-removable - This adhesion is primarily designed for use on book covers and glass. When removed these adhesives labels do not leave any residue whatsoever. Be aware that the adhesion is weak and should only be used for light duty applications. Normally these labels have very little adhesion to anything once they've been removed.
• Freezer or Frost fix - The adhesion on these labels enables them to withstand temperatures to -40 degrees Celsius and are therefore suitable for deep freeze use.
• High Tack - A type of permanent adhesive that has a high initial grab to surfaces. It is commonly used at higher coat weights to enable labels to adhere strongly to difficult, rough or dirty surfaces.
• Static Cling - This "process" does not utilize an adhesive. Being made from PVC, it possesses a static charge that enables adhesion to flat, smooth surfaces such as glass. It tends to be used where easy removal is required such as with window advertising, window decorations and oil change labels.
For many applications the choice of adhesive could either enhance or reduce the attractiveness and value of your product. Can you imagine the cost and hassle that you impose on your clients by supplying permanent adhesives for a label that needs to be replaced periodically? Therefore, ensure to give consideration to this often overlooked-point next time you order labels.
© 2016 Pinghu Zhanpeng Hot Melt Adhesive Web & Film Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Web support by : HWAQ